MOT Status Check
It is now possible to carry out a free on-line MOT check on your vehicle. It is also possible to search on other vehicles such as a used car you are looking to buy.
The service is provided by the DVLA, an executive agency of the Department of Transport.
The service allows you to find out:
- When the current MOT certificate expires.
- When the road tax is due
To carry out an MOT check you will need the following information to hand:
- Vehicle registration number
- Make of the vehicle
Begin your MOT Status Check
When you are ready, click the start button below to begin your free MOT expiry check.
MOT History Check
It is also now possible to run a free on-line check on the MOT history of a vehicle. Only previous tests going back to 2005 are available as that was when the MOT system was computerised.
Using this service enables you to check:
- Dates of previous tests.
- Mileage recorded at the time of testing.
- Which items failed the MOT test.
You can then verify the information provided by the service against any paper certificates you hold to verify they are genuine.
To carry out a MOT history check on-line you will need the following information to hand:
- Vehicle registration number (as found on the V5C registration document).
Plus one of the following:
- MOT test number. This can be found on the VT20 test certificate or the VT30 refusal certificate.
- Document registration number found on the V5C registration document.
Begin your MOT History Check
When you have this information to hand, click the Start button below to begin your free MOT history check.